Thursday, March 14, 2013

On Word Art

I'm a visual artist as well as a writer.

My high school and college careers both centered around my drawing. I like things that look pretty. I actually discovered Tumblr this year and absolutely love it because it lets me fully immerse myself in visual goodies.

Anyway, the point is I am a visual person. And as much drawing as I've done, I'm still not to the point where I can draw something straight out of my head and have it come out to my liking. As a result, I've constantly got a head full of images I'd like to be able to get down on paper, but know any attempts to draw them would just result in pure frustration.

The other night I was desperate to get some relief and wanted to do a little writing, too, so I figured why not draw with words?

The exercise was actually really helpful with getting rid of the twitchy desire to see something, without having to form a whole story just to find a place for something I wanted to see.

This was the final result:

It's well past midnight and every light in the workshop is dark. Tony's still working, but he'd had JARVIS turn the lights off in deference to the sleeping hunk of muscle sprawled across his lap; Steve's pinned him where he sits on the cot in the corner and left him with just the glow of the tablet propped on his thigh, braced against the wall. Steve's feet are hanging off the end of the cot—even with his legs bent toward his chest—and he's got his right hand tucked under Tony's thigh so his fingers curl around the inside of Tony's knee, but despite how wildly uncomfortable it must be, he's knocked out cold. Tony brushes his palm over Steve's shoulder between tablet gestures, returning again and again for the warmth it leeches into his palm, the steady rise and fall of Steve's breathing.

Periodically Tony will wince as he switches from a dark program to a light one, creating a sudden flare of light, but Steve sleeps on, oblivious, a small, but growing wet patch forming beneath the corner of his slightly parted lips on Tony's thigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment